BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Tagged Layouts »

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Update on Brody

On Tuesday, we had another echocardiogram and saw Dr. Battiste (a pediatric cardiologist). We were very encouraged from the appointment. Dr. Battiste did not see any heart problems other than the Atrial Septal Defect. She told us that we will be able to deliver Brody in Wichita. She also said that after he is born that they will do another echocardiogram because it will make it much easier to see his heart than it is now. As long as the echocardiogram at birth doesn't show any other problems, he will not need to have the Atrial Septal Defect repaired until he is about 4 years old. She said that in very rare cases the hole will close itself or become small enough by that time to not need surgery. She told us that if the hole remains as it seems right now, he may need to have the more invasive surgery done in order to close it. However, she said it might be smaller than it looks right now (they will know more when he is born) and then the procedure they can do is not open heart. Regardless of which repair is needed, he should not need to have anything done until he is around 4 years old. In the meantime, we will just pray for the hole to get smaller each day.

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Always glad to see the details in writing so I can keep the details straight.

gran said...

I agree with Grandma... I 'hear', but 'see' better!
Brody is in our prayers (as you all are)

GGma said...

I'm glad they can do the delivery here in Wichita. I pray every day for Brody and I know God will take care of him.

Donna said...

Glad to hear. Still praying!